LIVE REPORT: DEATH’S BLACK DECENT II


I arrived at the venue a bit early. I had in mind that I could enjoy the afternoon sun and maybe drink a cold coffee. I sat at the café, across the street and just before my coffee came, a friend of mine, who also happens to co-run the event managing company, Krisis Productions, came out of the venue.

“Wanna come in?” he asked me. ‘Fuck yeah’, I thought but I kept my cool. “Sure.” The soundcheck from most of the bands was already done. I chatted with some friends while listening to the two bands that were going to open the show, tuning their instruments.

After the coffee, came the first beer and around half a beer later, Dimholt took their place on the stage. They came from our neighboring country, Bulgaria, having released their first full length, “Liberation Funeral”. Their sound could be described as black metal, with a bit of a roll in it and psychedelic tendencies. The crowd was still out of tune and hanging around, rather than paying attention. This usually happens at the beginning of a show, especially if you know that it’s going to be a long night (five bands in total).

I liked their sound and they were well rehearsed. I stood at the middle of the venue, listening to the instruments and I have to say that the sound of the drums could be just a bit lower so the riffs could be heard clearly. The singer has a good voice and the overall feel that they gave me was positive. The orchestration of some songs has something majestic about it, creating a grandiose feeling. But their sound is still not fully developed and this can be heard in some songs, where the lead guitar plays on its own, on top of the orchestration and it just doesn’t work for me. Time will show and Dimholt deserves our attention.

Next in line was a local band, The Psalm. They play death metal, as it was created by bands like Asphyx, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower and the likes. They are a power trio that gives away raw, aggressive and serpent like feelings enveloping with their riffs. Their strongest aspect is the voice, deep and growling with great articulation. But I was somewhat disappointed by their performance, especially with the rhythm guitars and leads/solos. This weakness can be justified since the vocals, the rhythm guitars and the lead guitars were all performed by one man. I think it would be better if they have an extra player in concerts, responsible for either the rhythm or the lead guitars. They do have potential but this will become clearer and more solid as they work and progress in time.

Demonomancy, from Italy, came on stage with matching outfits and their debut, “Throne of Demonic Proselytism” under their belts. Also a power trio, with shaved heads, eyes painted black and chains wrapped around their naked top bodies. They started and they ended. No chit chat. Just a pure sonic assault. The singer gave a very passive/aggressive performance, supporting their image as a demonic death/black band. The sound was a bit chaotic and I think that maybe it was done on purpose. My opinion and expectations, when attending a concert, is to have a clear sensory (mainly listening) experience. I want to listen to the orchestration and the riffs. This chaotic expression, may serve the purpose of creating atmosphere, but sonic chaos and sonic atmosphere is not the same, as you will read in the next paragraph. They have the riffs and the potential to make it happen but not just yet.

There was a relatively large break in the program, probably because Lvcifyre were making sure that their sound is exactly as they want it to be. At some point, they began playing and I felt ‘it’. But they stopped. Then they left the stage and returned in ‘armor’. “Well”, I thought, “They sure take this seriously.” The main and great difference from the previous bands was that Lvcifyre have a very clear vision of what they are doing and how they want it to appear in our consciousness. They play in a whole other level that is not achieved by many. If I was a 20 something boy I would probably feel fear and awe. It was one of the most impressive acts I have seen and I will tell anyone that has an interest in the dark arts, that given the opportunity, Lvcifyre must be experienced. This is not an exaggeration. They were absolute in their certainty, massive and dominant, transmitting auras from another, darkened universe, where light still hasn’t emerged in it. Pure sonic darkness.

I could have paid attention in the orchestration and find flaws but I didn’t. If there were any, I ignored them completely. I allowed myself to submerge into the ‘fyre’.

After the end of their show, as I did after every band, I chatted with friends. The main difference was that we were giggling. Because this is what real men do when they experience true darkness. They giggle. Deal with it.

Obliteration came from Norway, dressed in the ways of the old school. An experienced band that showed their fangs while dominating the stage with their presence. They are also a high caliber live band, along with Lvcifyre, but they express a different feel. Aggressive, thrashy death metal with a voice that is assaulting the senses and solos flying through the songs while the drummer is battering relentlessly.

At some point the singer launched a booger to the crowd but it didn’t hit anyone. It wasn’t done on purpose. “It must have been an absolute necessity for him”, I thought. Then it happened again and again. After four boogers and a whole lot of primitive death metal, I thought that this just might be the singer’s way of expressing the lack of tissues under his bullet belt. Kinda gross, but hey! it’s metal.

The show lasted more than four hours and I was completely exhausted. We went to get something to eat and then at a rock bar for a quick fix of alcohol. It was a great show that promoted the underground in the best possible way. There is juice down there for anyone willing to swim through the darkened river of Hades.

0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment