Shining - International Blackjazz Society - Review


“Fuck my soul when I burn it all.” I can imagine Shining playing in large venues and the crowd moving and jumping up and down with them; shouting the simple and repetitive chants-lyrics through the voice of Jorgen Munkeby, where the narrator speaks in first person about him/herself and/or against everyone else. “My god, I don’t know what is going on. I cannot take this shit anymore, but I still need more.”… Because everyone at some point, just can’t take it anymore.

The intensity and the energy that ‘International Blackjazz Society’ expresses can be overwhelming and at the end of it, the listener may feel more relaxed and at peace. See it as a way to express anxiety, worries, uncertainty, anger, self-loathing and a wide range of destructive emotions, if kept on the inside and ultimately, have fun with it.

Shining begun exploring and creating their own sound a few years ago, when they released “Blackjazz” and now, two albums later, this musical vision is more realized, methodic and disciplined. They are more precise and they create songs that can take the listener to a wild ride. The music is dense, cohesive and filled with industrial energy, creating a thick moving wall, or maybe a massive body of water moving fast towards us, making great and fear inspiring noise, shouting at everyone and no one at the same time. The saxophone doesn’t play a dominant role and it feels more like a parallel narration to this intense storyline that is expressed while I, the listener, am experiencing the album.

This is the dream of a man about to lose his shit. Stuck in a traffic jam; hands on the stirring wheel; fingers tight around it; the mind swirling in anxiety; debts; bills; unemployment; problems at home; fighting; blaming each other; fuck my wife/husband; fuck the future; fuck society; fuck the banks and fuck it all. Jumping out of the car and running like a maniac. The man doesn’t know it yet, but it is total meltdown. “I knew what I was living for, but know I am not sure.” And when it is fully realized and the body exhausted, he is falling on his knees and crying, not out of weakness but of despair. The dream is broken. The dream is dead. “Now I know it’s all a lie. Choose the poison. Choose the lie. I sold all the things I love for a place in this empty house of control.”

The listener can sense the sensitivity and the subtlety of emotions. It is not just anger and denial. There is vulnerability, there is intensity, there is uncertainty channeled through this dark, thick, industrial entity called “International Blackjazz Society”; and most of all, it’s fun. You can move with it, dance with it, play along with it and at the end of it feel like you had an awesome time. Every song has a circular riff that moves around and welcomes you to dance with it; the drums have a warm and live sound, making it feel more rock and less industrial; not distant and cold, like metal on metal, but closer to you; lead guitars, keys, saxophone and voice are all moving on top of the basic riff-drums-bass structure and this is what makes it feel so alive and intense; along with the lyrics, you have the visions of a man that is having a meltdown and somehow enjoys it. And so do I.

Not long ago, Shining gave a live performance on a rock in Norway, Trolltunga, and from what I’ve seen they do love playing live and recording on location (like this ONE). Maybe next time they’ll play on Mars; or the moon, because, well, it’s closer. Count me a member of the International Blakcjazz Society. I just hope it doesn’t turn into a religious cult.

0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment